Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Welcome to our corner of the world!

I've been reading blogs for awhile, and I've just gotten into Pinterest, so I'm feeling inspired! I'm not sure I'll blog on a regular basis, but I thought I should give it a whirl and see how it goes. Lots of blogs I read ask questions on a regular basis, so I might just start out responding to those here. We'll see! :)

So... life in Little Hispaniola. We're a single-income Caucasian couple living in a predominately Hispanic neighborhood. All our neighbors speak Spanish as their first language, and English as their second language. It keeps things interesting when we have to deal with such things as people parking in our parking spots (or across them!), music being played too loud after our city's quite hours, etc. But the people are kind.

Just the other day we had a major snow and ice storm blow through. Daniel came home from work, and couldn't get into our parking spot, since the ice had formed a pretty slippery layer on top of the snow. So, I went out to help him figure out how to get the car moving again, and while we were out there, one of our neighbors from across the landing came home. We'll call him Ganar (I'm not sure I'm spelling that right). He saw what was going on and offered to help. Just about the same time, one of the neighbors from the other side of the building came out with a shovel, so Ganar grabbed the shovel, and dug our car out with lightning speed. As I stood there and watched him dig, it was quite obvious he knew how to handle a shovel. It made me wonder what he does for a living. We didn't really get a chance to talk to him after he finished, because it was so cold outside, but maybe some day soon I'll make some cookies and take them across the hall for him.

What sort of relationship do you have with your neighbors? Do you know their names and what they do?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my little corner of the World Wide Web. Please let me know you were here by leaving me a comment! :)