Sunday, July 22, 2012

Leaving a Legacy

Friday would have been my grandparents' 60th wedding anniversary.  Grandpa passed away four and a half years ago though. I still try to make a point to call Grandma on that day every summer to let her know I'm thinking of her. I also called both my siblings to remind them, and they were able to call Grandma as well. My sister let me know that Grandma's neighbor stopped by with a plate of brownies and was going to visit for a little bit, so Grandma didn't have to be alone.

I didn't really think about this on Friday when I talked to my grandma, but she really did set a great example for us grandkids in how to live out the "in sickness" part of our marriage vows. Grandpa had a number of strokes when I was a teenager, and Grandma cared for him at home until I was in college. Eventually it did become too difficult for her to care for him at home, and he did have to go into long-term care, but even then, Grandma visited him multiple times a day, and still took care of brushing his hair, washing his face, cleaning his dentures and doing his laundry. We even celebrated Thanksgiving at the long-term care facility with Grandpa.

Remembering how Grandma took care of Grandpa the last decade of their marriage, despite Grandpa not really being able to "give back" to her beyond words of thanks inspires me. When I reflect on everything that they went through, our dietary issues don't seem so big and scary anymore.

So... Thank you Grandma for setting a great example for the rest of the family on what it means to love your spouse in sickness and in health. I love you!

1 comment:

  1. Wow... that is really inspirational!! I want to learn that kind of love for my husband.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my little corner of the World Wide Web. Please let me know you were here by leaving me a comment! :)