Tuesday, November 20, 2012

So, What Do You Eat, Anyway? (Part 1 of 3)


If you haven't already done so, I would encourage you to read my MTHFR posts, as well as my account of Daniel's health issues back in July. This post will make more sense after you read those.

Since Daniel's allergies came to light, we had to switch up what we're eating. We're now pretty much a gluten-free, casein-free household. We also try to avoid corn and soy. That makes things pretty interesting!

I know many people are going gluten-free these days, but so many of the gluten-free products are cost-prohibitive, we've had to get a little inventive with what we choose to eat.  Here's a little snapshot of what we eat:

Breakfasts: Sometimes (okay, a lot of the time) we cheat on this, and we eat oatmeal for breakfast. Oats ARE technically gluten-free, but usually the more common brands have been cross-contaminated with gluten during processing. I'm hoping to switch us over to certified gluten-free oats soon. I'm still looking for someone local who is willing to split a 25-lb bag of certified gluten free oats with us though, since we don't have room to store that much right now.

If we're not eating oatmeal, we're probably eating pumpkin bread, which the MTHFR family is teaching me to make!  Some of the ingredients include: Gluten-Free Pantry Scone and Muffin mix, coconut oil, quinoa flakes, banana, pumpkin, and raisins.  The coconut oil is really good for you, and the quinoa provides some protein.  This bread is great if you pop it in the microwave for about 25 seconds before you eat it. I'll ask "T" (of the MTHFR family) if I can share the recipe with y'all soon.  I'm sure we'll be making it the first week in December.

Come back next Tuesday to find out what we eat for lunch!  :)


4 comments:

  1. Glad to see you are eating oats! I want to do gluten free, but can't give up my oats, and don't want to spend the money on the gluten free ones. Talking with a friend the other day, she said the same thing about them just having a small trace, so it made me feel better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DH is allergic to eggs too, so that wiped out a lot of our breakfast options, and how we came to eat oats. Some people who REALLY have to avoid gluten do avoid oats as well, because they contain a gluten-like substance called avenin. So, ideally, I'd like to find something to eat for breakfast besides oats, but that's what we've got for now!

      DH's family all lives in town, and the whole family is in the process of going gluten-free too, so we're going to split a 25lb bag of certified gluten-free oats with them. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh wow. Trying to regulate a gluten-free diet has got to be so hard. More power to you!
    Maybe you could try some Indian dishes? I'm guessing there are many of those that are gluten free.

    Visiting from ICLW (#7)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indian dishes are a great idea! :) We have to be a little careful with beans, but DH is not allergic to lentils, so that's good! I'll have to think about this a bit more... Thanks for jogging my memory!

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by my little corner of the World Wide Web. Please let me know you were here by leaving me a comment! :)