Tuesday, November 6, 2012

*UPDATED* 11/6/12 Managing God's Money--Car Maintenance, Take 2!

A few weeks ago, I wrote about looking for new tires.  Well, yesterday morning... our car died.

Daniel left for work but came back almost immediately, reporting that the car wouldn't start. He was positive he didn't leave the lights on, and all our neighbors were already gone to work. He had about two minutes to get back out the door and catch the bus.

We think it may be the battery (hoping!), so we're just going to move the new tires and alignment up to today, and get everything done all in one shot. But, here's where things get really fun.

Once I realized the car would need to go to the mechanic before we could get the new tires put on, I realized that the Discount Tire in Pasco (our original plan) was now further away from the car's location than the Discount Tire in Richland. So, I called the Discount Tire in Richland, to find out if they had the tires we want in stock. The man who answered the phone turned out to be the husband of a friend of mine from church. When I explained the situation, and which tires we want, he said he didn't have them in stock, but he could give us better tires for the same price.  So, instead of 40,000 mile tires for $430, we're getting 65,000 mile tires for $422.04.  Did you catch that?  That's 25,000 more miles, for $8.00 less than what we'd expected to pay.

And shortly after I got all that arranged, a lady who just moved to town from Arizona called to see if Daniel could design her a website. I'm not sure how that's all going to pan out, but I'm choosing to take great solace in the fact that God had that lady call on the very day our car died.  :)

*UPDATE* 11/6/12

We got the car towed to the shop this morning, where we found out it was indeed the battery, and the starter.  $700 later, our emergency fund is empty, and we had just enough miscellaneous cash to cover the rest.  So... no new tires or alignment for us today.  I'll call Discount Tire tomorrow (the guy I talked to wasn't going to be in today) and let them know it may be awhile before we can come in for tires.

We're just amazed that we were able to pay for today's repairs without having to go on a payment plan. We'll just keep being faithful and frugal, and trust that God will provide the funds for the tires and alignment when He decides it's time to do them!

2 comments:

  1. He's still in control and He already has a plan figured out! I'm praising Him for providing the money for today's work ahead of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, He does. I guess we'll just have to wait to see what it is.

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by my little corner of the World Wide Web. Please let me know you were here by leaving me a comment! :)